History of St Philip's
St Philip's. Catterline
The fishing village of Catterline expanded in the early 19th century after in harbour had been built. In 1842 a group of 19 male communicants, speaking for a community of 132, petitioned the Diocesan Synod for a church at Catterline because the Episcopal Chapel at Drumlithie was seven miles away. In 1843 the first Catterline pastor - the Reverend James Stevenson of Stornoway - was elected.
The present church of St Philips was designed by Charles Brand in the English style and was built on the site of an earlier church, retaining its historic graveyard. It was opened in 1848 and consecrated by Bishop Forbes of Brechin.
A notice in the entrance porch records that the Founder and First Priest, James Stevenson, was buried inthe churchyard after his death on 5 March, 1868 at the age of 64 years.
St Philip's is also a very beautiful venue for weddings for further information on the church as a wedding venue. Details of who to contact can be found on the Contact Us page.